Hi,

On 17.10.2017 10:32, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> The thing is - we have been discussing hypothetical issues so far, not
> the real ones.

Users have been blocked and edits reverted for indiscriminately applying
JOSM's autofixer to large swaths of data. But those who do that are
usually aware that they are mis-using the feature, which is meant to
support you in mapping an area. The usual workflow is that you open
JOSM, choose an area to edit, and then use available material and
knowledge to improve the map in that area. It is not "some query directs
you to a random area, you open the editor and click the fix button just
as someone else has told you to".

> some hypothetical individual might not pay attention and go
> clicking trigger happy -- in other words we don't trust our users to be
> diligent.

This is not a faithful argument. You have said, multiple times, that you
consider the diligence we ask of people a waste of time because certain
tasks could just as well be done by the computer. You have written a
tool that will, at least as currently presented, lower the diligence
standard.

> And that's the fundamental problem - we are worried about things that
> might happen, at the expense of ignoring significant number of existing
> data issues.

You are personally responsible for quite a few of these existing data
issues. -- Yes there are many bugs in OSM and there are many tools that
help find and fix them. Most fixes are not "quick", they require manual
intervention, switching on your brain, and usually knowledge of the
place or at the very least knowledge of the culture where the edit
happens. It appears to me that after the myriad of emails that have been
sent to you over the last half year, you still haven't understood that.
Initially I thought you simply needed some time to "get" OSM, but now I
am convinced that you don't really want to understand. You believe that
you are right and everyone else should finally admit that.

Bye
Frederik