On 22.10.17 03:22, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
On 24 September 2017 at 23:01, Matthijs Melissen
<i...@matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
I would like to ask for your opinion on the choice of language used in
the Default map on openstreetmap.org.
Thank you all for your contributions to the discussion. It seems that
the current choice, rendering local names only, is the preferred
option for most of you. We'll therefore leave the rendering unchanged.

-- Matthijs

Still, the OSM map remains unusable on the global scale. For instance, I read an article about the new railroad North-South. I wanted to see it on the OSM map but I could not even find Iran on the map.

There is a code for the Lingua Latina (Latin language) in the ISO 639-1, which is used at the OSM. It is "la" [1]. It is an ancient language so modern political controversies would not be reflected on it.

It is not necessary to show a name in the Latin alphabet for each town or village. That is why only if the name:la=* in the Latin language added, only then it would be rendered on the map. At least a country name and major cities.

Irania [2] and Teheranum [3] would be good enough to me.

A would-be future vector map, probably, is not a a good solution, as it does not use the principle of precalculation. The Latin language has been used for centuries in science (including geography and cartography). Its popularity is growing nowadays.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

[2] https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irania

[3] https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teheranum

Best regards,

Oleksiy

P.S. There is no code for the ancient Greek in the ISO 639-1, and there is no Wikipedia in ancient Greek.