I agree with Pierre's description of highway=residential and highway=path.
I also believe it is a good idea to tag driveways and roads to compounds as
*highway=service*.

A problem I commonly see in residential areas in Africa is highway=track.
It seems to be a little condescending for remote mappers to tag roads as
tracks just because they don't look like residential roads in Europe or
North America.

Another recurring problem is highway=living_street, this tag is misleading
and confusing for native English and non-native English speakers alike.

If the road provides access to a couple of dwellings and doesn't connect
through to other roads then *highway=service* is appropriate. One exception
I suppose would be an "alley" behind houses that just goes between two
other residential roads.  In that case the classification is based on
function due to a construction constraint (the width).

Regards,

Emmor