Hi,

You might have noticed an unusually high attention to public transport mapping
in OpenStreetMap recently. There was a validator, a big proposal that got
rejected, and another one that isn't yet. You might have seen subway route
relations in your city edited, to better conform to the PTv2 schema. Why? What
was all that for?

Last week we have published MAPS.ME 8.0 for Android and iOS. If you plan a
route in one of 74 cities, it will suggest using a subway or a light rail
network. That includes London, Paris, Berlin, Milan, Moscow, Yokohama, Dubai,
Lima and many others. What I'd like to highlight, is that zero GTFS feeds were
used for that. All the data comes from OpenStreetMap.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Zverik/diary/43020

This is without doubt the first time somebody has used public transport
relations from OSM for routing, considering the state of these relations three
months ago. I see the development of the public transport schemas being tied to
just rendering, and maybe this would make them better. Who knows, maybe in a
year even overground routes in OSM could be used for anything other than
highlighting roads.

I'd like to thank you for discussing the proposal and mapping, and to ask you
for help mapping the rest of the cities. Especially the United States and asian
countries. I am willing to explain anything that is unclear, possibly improving
the Metro Mapping page.

Thanks,
Ilya