We already have validation tools in many forms for post-editing
validation and already know how difficult they are to get "right" (see
OSMOSE complaining about P+R facilities for a trivial example). I don't
quite see why there is a need to create yet another one/system.

On the other hand validation on upload is horrible from a UI and
workflow point of view (which is why JOSMs warnings get ignored so
often). IMHO preventing inadvertent mistakes to start with seems to be
far better and that can be done with consistent presets (which might
have to be localized) and editor support (see what Bryan has just done
with creating area geometries in iD).

Simon