Yes this is an interesting issue.. A lot of people were pretty upset when the
`addr:unit` field started appearing in their address field.

Field was added here:  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/4235
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/4235>
At the time it seemed pretty harmless.
(I locked discussion on that issue because it was getting too noisy - we really
don’t need to discuss how address work in all parts of the world)

I mostly take a pretty hands-off approach to this field - I’d like for people
to be able to map addresses however they want to in their country, and I don’t
spend a lot of time tracking down what addresses look like around the world, so
we rely on local contributors to update the source code with pull requests.

I think there are several things going on here:

1. Some places really don’t have a concept of `addr:unit` - there are just no
addresses split up by floor, apartment, etc.
   (The best thing to do is to remove the field)

2. Some places do have this concept, but they don’t call it `unit`, so seeing
the word “unit” in the UI is confusing
   (The best thing to do is probably rename the field, maybe “Apt/Floor/Unit”
or something else?)

3. Some places do have this concept, but it is so rare that people don’t want
to see it in the UI
   (The best thing to do is - whatever local mappers want.  Still, “rare” does
not mean “useless".)

4. Some places do not have a dedicated address format, so they see the
“default” format which looks kind of European and had `addr:unit` added to it
recently
   (I removed the field from the “default” format, since opinions on this field
are so mixed)

Thanks, Bryan