On 22/01/18 22:27, Tom Hughes wrote:
I wouldn't say unit is common at all in the UK to be honest.

It's only really used for commercial units on industrial estates and things - you wouldn't normally see it in residential addresses like you do in many countries.

For the UK all that is required is 'property' and 'postcode' and for an industrial estate property may be 'Unit X' and postcode provides the rest of the street details. Adding 'street' is a little belt and braces, although people asking for your details will ask for 'first line of your address and postcode' in which case the 'Unit X' may or may not include the street. Actually it's more likely to be the estate name so for my near by estate it is messy since I've ended up using 'housenumber' so that it renders better and the street is 'Weston Industrial Estate' as it appears with the postcode.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/145295590#map=18/52.07347/-1.82250 does not want 'Unit' in front of the numbers, so should the 'addr:housenumber' now be changed to 'addr:unit' ... on one hand yes that would seem better, but I still think 'addr:housenumber' is wrong, and we should have 'addr:number' and 'addr:property' where 'number' would be the shorthand style of property reference ( and may even be a house name where not numbered ) and 'property' would be the expanded for. For 'unit' ... 'X' and 'Unit X' ... for office 'blocks' this may be something like 'B4A' for 'Block B, Floor 4, Office A' or something similar. Units on a storage site may well be more complex than just number.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL