It is with great pleasure that I announce the launch of the 3D Model
Repository, available at https://3dmr.eu!

The main aim of the project is to enable a better 3D rendering of OSM data,
placing 3D models at everything from landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower,
to benches on the street.

Starting off from my Google Summer of Code project, over the past few
months, along with my mentors, Jan (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/osmbuildings) and Tobias (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tordanik), I have been working hard on
setting up the infrastructure required for the launch, namely a web server
and the domain, which have been warmly provided by FOSSGIS. Along with
this, some new features and bugfixes were added to the repository,
including a PR by dkiselev (https://gitlab.com/n42k/3dmr/merge_requests/19).
Finally, the last few miscellaneous issues before the launch have been
resolved, and a few sample models were added to the repository.

On the renderer side, -karlos- (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/-karlos-)
has been making great progress with OSM go, having provided us with an easy
way to show off the features of the repository. An example rendering can be
seen on
http://osmgo.org/go.html?lat=41.69230008&lon=-8.82631887&ele=1.50&dir=351&view=-7&con=2&opt=0&name=beton
or as an image on https://i.imgur.com/aF5fxFI.png.

## Contributing

Contributions are always welcome, in any form! There's several ways to
contribute to the repository, such as modelling or developing. If you know
how to use Blender or Google SketchUp, you can get started right away
modelling features of your town, consult the wiki (at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Model_Repository) for more
information. Otherwise, if you'd rather develop, you can implement the
repository in a 3D renderer (more information available on the wiki at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Model_Repository and the API
documentation at https://3dmr.eu/docs), or add new features to the
repository itself (a Gitlab repository is available at
https://gitlab.com/n42k/3dmr). Other than that, if you have any other idea,
make sure to get in contact.

Hope to see your additions!