I worked for ten years as a GOO (ground operations) at a major airline. I realize that the OSM map is not used by airmen, at least not officially.

I am a certified RPAS (remotely piloted aircraft system) pilot. While planning a flight at a certain place I look at the official special maps (for example RPAS restrictions map for CH [1]). But, since no map is perfect, I look also at the OSM map, different satellite imagery, Google map, Wikimedia ground and aerial images of a place, if existing, Youtube videos, etc. to understand what is expecting me at this place.

It is even more complicated for helicopter pilots, since risk and responsibility are incomparably higher. It is not impossible that an airman has got a smartphone in his pocket with map apps, and during long autopilot flight has a look at a place where he has to land, which is the most complex part of a flight.

Unfortunately, helicopter wire and obstacle strikes happen quite often, and the stats are nearly evenly split between day and nighttime events. 86% of the fatal accidents occur in clear weather with good visibility [2].

My point is that it would at least not harm if towers, not only control towers, but communication, observation towers, and other tall structures are present on a map with an icon. It would be useful for everyone, since these landmarks are visible from far away at day and night.

[1] https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=aviation&lang=de&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-grau&layers=ch.bazl.einschraenkungen-drohnen&layers_opacity=0.6&catalogNodes=1379,2863&E=2635778.01&N=1187912.46&zoom=2 [2] http://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/how-avoid-helicopter-wire-strikes

With best regards,
Oleksiy