> Martin,
>
> The OSM map is being used in a professional context on transportation. For
> example, very efficient Stockholm public transport system map:
> https://sl.se/en/ . I used this website myself while staying in
> Stockholm. I had to visit quite a few cities, but I never saw anything even
> remotely close by usefulness and efficiency to Stockholm public transport.
> Basically, one builds his/her life around this map over-there.
>
> As for the military, I saw a documentary about a modern military system,
> and there was on display of this system unmistakeably the OSM map.
>
> We tend to underestimate the technology available on our smartphones
> (including the OSM based maps). For example, I could find my lost
> smartphone even in another city in minutes, but some lost planes,
> helicopters, or RPAS are being searched for months or even years.

agreed, I would also believe that the military _also_ might look at OSM
(every additional source is always useful), but very likely not for flying
aircraft, still, I don't believe there is any correlation whatsoever
between a military helicopter touching an airport control tower at daytime
and good weather conditions, and this tower mapped in OSM or not. And even
if it would have been a thunderstorm and foggy and night time, there
wouldn't be any correlation between the accident and OSM (besides that you
became aware of the tower and mapped it because of the news). Usually
accidents like this happen because of high spirits or someone having an
heart attack or similar.

On a sidenote, I think you overestimate the technology to find your
smartphone, you would very likely not find it in the ocean or in a river or
lake, or in a cave, or after some hours when the battery has drained, or in
an area without cellphone or wireless reception, or if it was inside a
shielding containment, etc. ;-)

Cheers,
Martin