Placenames are often corruptions of old languages or are in a different
language to that spoken and not everywhere has an official language.

If a place in England should we assume its name is in English?

Name:en=Llanymynech would be a very odd assumption. As would Hengoed or
Rhydycroesau.

This cannot be automatic, it needs mappers with local knowledge.

Phil (trigpoint)