Many humanitarian groups use buildings as a rough proxy for population
(density), or to ensure every household is covered during a vaccination
campaign, or simply to navigate. Likely they use them for a combination of
the three. As Phil says, it’s best to read the specific task.

As a side note, it’s helpful to be more specific than the entire continent
of Africa, which is a very, very large and diverse place. If you can note
individual problematic countries, as Frederic does, it helps us to identify
sources of error or verify there was a legitimate humanitarian or
community-building reason behind any fall in quality.