On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:07:42PM +0200, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 03.07.2018 10:28, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Don't forget that new FIXMEs will continue to appear all the time.
>
> They will, but at a lower rate. Mappers often look at existing tagging
> to find out how things should be tagged. This is further reinforced by

I neglect the statement to a certain point. As soon as there is a SINGLE
mention of a broken tag in the Wiki people use it. And when you tell
them that their usage is wrong they send you a random Wiki article
stating the opposite.

> Mostly eliminating the FIXME spelling now (instead of waiting for it to
> disappear naturally over the next decade) will also allow us to simplify

Please make a statistic about power=sub_station vs power=substation.

It started to change when editors complained about the deprecated usage.

> > Software should be able to deal with both.
>
> In my opinion, software should not _need_ to deal with both. Working
> around easily fixed database quality issues is a waste of time.
> Especially when there's even a volunteer eager to fix these quality issues!

Have you ever dealt with OSM data from a software development
standpoint?

There is no such thing as "database quality". Its a big spaghetti mess
and data consumers take whats documented and ignore misspellings. Users
have to fix it with discipline noticing the errors in data consumers
products. Thats been OSM for more than a decade. It turned software
development principles upside down. For decades we invested man months
to do input validation before storing data. With OSM we store anything
if it looks like it might be representable in a key and value. Data
consumers have to decide which of the kv pairs look promising and
process them. This made OSM the most flexible way of storing everyones
geo data.

We (as OSM) check and enforce syntax, not semantic.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de