On 7/4/2018 2:58 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
On Wed, July 4, 2018 1:47 pm, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
Sometimes I myself cannot recognize on a satellite image what kind of
building it is, - a warehouse, a cowshed, a factory, etc., or how many
levels it has got. I have to look at its shadow, surroundings, roof
surface, to make a guess.
Imagery interpretation is artful indeed - it takes practice to train the
eye, but then recognizing features from elusive hints, such as a tall
structure from its shadow, becomes reflex.

This is an area where having travelled in the target area helps a lot -
with nothing but the imagery I can with near-certainty recognize most
Senegalese schools... But I'm entirely lost trying to do the same in
neighbouring Guinea !

I saw recently a film "Nord Nord Mord" [1]. In this film there is an ultra-modern luxury house which costs twenty million euros (actually almost the whole film is sort of about it). But the building has got a traditional thatched roof made from reeds. You can see the house and the roof already at 1:20 (1 minute 20 seconds) of the video.

I tried to find a similar house on the satellite imagery of Northern Germany but for some reason I could not find a single one. Perhaps, they are rare, or blend into vegetation, or do not look like houses from above.

[1] https://www.zdf.de/filme/der-fernsehfilm-der-woche/nord-nord-mord-124.html

Best regards,

O.