Hi,

On 09.07.2018 10:35, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I am not really sure what you actually want to say here.  You clearly
> try to discredit the paper cited and you also attack Frederik for
> linking to it.  But if you truly think the paper is nonsense and you
> know all this stuff so much better why don't you write your own paper
> pointing out the errors and explaining how things really are?

This thread started when I said that imports can often be damaging to
community building, and people innocently asked if I can back that up
with facts or research.

Now of course it is extremely difficult to do research in this
particular area at all; you can't just design an experiment and let it
run for 10 years and see what happens. That we have any research at all
about this topic, and not just anecdotes (of which there are of course
many), is very valuable.

Of course it is always very tempting to discredit research that doesn't
agree with one's strongly held beliefs. "When I said show me some
research, I meant THE OTHER KIND of research!!!" - I would probably
start looking for flaws in a study that branded a data import as a huge
success kickstarting a vibrant community too ;)

Anyway, I'm fine with a discussion based on gut feelings and anectdotal
evidence. Just don't ask me to prove my point with research if you're
not interested.

Bye
Frederik