I think, the problem that rule says "on-the-ground" and if it doesn't mean
on-the-ground and people *cannot find it, * for example there is no sign at
all like houses missing the number plate or abandonned houses or forest /
national park divisions.

Indeed, mail address is one of the possibility to check but they are not
consistent. Sending 2 emails to correct-like address could give
contradicting results easily because they are human processed.

There is no need to discredit the rule, especially where it couldn't
applied, there is a need to enhance the rule for a non-physical objects
which are mostly driven by documents. And OSM was always fine to accept
these imports driven by municipality documents.