  https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/6589

> (2) I see significant benefit of natural=water + water=*

  This is your personal opinion. Opinion of OpenStreetMap community is
expressed by those who map - in the data.

> This way one may display water with simply looking for natural=water
> rather than multiple separate values. And I would not describe using
> landuse=reservoir for reservoir water area as a desirable tagging.

  There are millions of arguments for original OpenStreetMap scheme as
well as for the new one. There is simply no point on drowning this
discussion in such pointless discussion.
  As water tagging is very prominent, my opinion is that most
important thing is STABILITY (it is based on my personal experience in
creating maps, analyses, QA as well as talking to other
people/organisations using OpenStreetMap data). There should be some
very good reasons to change such a prominent tag because it is not
only a change in one editor, it is a change in millions of places:
vector tiles, cartography rules, data analysis, QA, documentation,
training.

  Current situation is that original OpenStreetMap scheme (with
landuse=reservoir) is used more even where JOSM allows both schemes
and iD only allows the new one from the very beginning of existence of
iD (and now pushing people to update tags to scheme preferred by iD
developers. I already had to revert a number of such changes and
explain people to ignore such "advices" or switch to a better editor).

--
Tomas