Hello!

The community of OSM mappers in the Philippines are pleased to announce an
initiative to use AI or machine learning (ML)-derived data to help improve
the coverage of OpenStreetMap in the Philippines and we are calling it
Tabang-AI. This is word play on the Cebuano word *tábangay* which means
"collaboration" or "teamwork". We believe that AI and ML, when used
properly, and always with local mappers leading the effort, is a fruitful
complement to conventional forms of mapping in OSM.

One of the first projects under this initiative is related to the AI road
detection technology developed by Facebook under their Map With AI service (
https://mapwith.ai/). We requested Facebook to run their machine learning
models in the Philippines and they have provided the detected road data
through their RapiD editor.

Together with various local partners (LGUs, NGOs, etc.) that we have forged
from the recent Pista ng Mapa conference[1] in Dumaguete, we plan to
promote baseline road mapping throughout the country to further increase
data coverage. This will be implemented in several phases to ensure that
the data added to OSM conforms to the defined quality standards outlined by
the local community.

You can read more about this Tabang-AI initiative on the OSM Wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Tabang-AI

If you are in the Philippines and want to start coordinating map tasks
within your community, please feel free to reply to this email, or sent a
private message to osm.pilipinas+aimappingrequ...@gmail.com or create a
GitHub ticket here: https://github.com/OSMPH/Tabang-AI/issues/new

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/GOwin/diary/390452

Regards,