On 12/09/2019 11:36, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Except that this often excludes everyone who can write and is *not* a
computer programmer. It think this is what Christoph hinted at when he
wrote:

Is there any mature and writer centric software that implements this
kind of model?  I mean that from the perspective of a documentation
author offers a wiki like functionality with decent preview and
formatting but at the same time comes with a kind of version management
and functions to facilitate editorial review and discussion.

I think Microsoft GitHub can do that.

It has in-browser editing, live preview of the rendered markdown/etc format, as well as pull requests, forking, comments on changes, permissions, the ability for people to use command line git at home.

I don't know what it's like to write lots of docs like that, or if it's still too programming focused, and it's a shame that it's proprietary software from Microsoft, but it might get the job done.

Read more:

 * https://help.github.com/en/articles/editing-files-in-your-repository
 * https://github.blog/2013-07-11-github-flow-in-the-browser/
 * https://help.github.com/en/categories/writing-on-github