If the bus route does not have fixed stops, it is a hail-and-ride route,
not a fixed-stop route. Public Transport v2 takes both possibilities into
account.

The route relation should include all the road segments involved, and the
relevant segments should have the role:
hail_and_ride

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hail_and_ride

As to the name vs number, the agreed naming convention is pretty clearly
spelled out in PTv2. Usually something like this:

For the route master ... Bus 2: City Hall <-> Library (or you can use <=>
or ↔)
For one variant ... Bus 2: City Hall -> Library (or you can use => or →)
For another variant ... Bus 2: Library -> City Hall

etc.

I have ridden buses in many US cities (although never a hail-and-ride) and
they fit nicely into this format.

The line number itself goes in the ref tag in the route relation.