If a bus stop sign has a number, you can add this to the highway=bus_stop
node with ref=*

BTW, I wouldn’t call “hail and ride” part of tyr public_transport proposal.
As the link shows, it’s clearly a separate proposal. But it sounds
sensible, and I agree that if a route has no fixed stops it makes sense to
just create a route relation and only add the first and last stop as
highway=bus_stop.

That’s what works here in Indonesia, where most local buses will pick up or
drop off passengers anywhere along the route.

Joseph