On Monday 04 November 2019, James wrote:
> Conspiracy: tagging a grassy knoll "the place JFK was shot from"
>
> Nitpicking: You rounded off the 16th decimal on a city's name tag,
> losing a maximum on 10cm of precision....on...a...city...name....tag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostensive_definition

I think Martin was asking for an intensional definition - which is much
more suitable in cross cultural communication.  In the context of
mapping and tagging in OSM we usually focus on and require intensional
definitions of tags because anything else tends to cause problems with
the use of tags in different parts of the world with very different
geography.  Similarly relying on terms with purely ostensive
definitions in social conventions causes problems with application of
these conventions across different cultures and languages.

The problem about "conspiracy theories" for example is that the
intensional definition would be something like "an idea that is in
fundamental conflict with the major consensus narrative of a society".
However in a multi-cultural community like OSM the major consensus
narrative varies quite strongly between different parts of the
community and the claim of something being a "conspiracy theory" will
often be subjective and an instrument of cultural imperialism of some
dominant culture what they consider to be the acceptable range of views
you can have of reality onto the rest of the community.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/