On 3/21/2020 10:37 AM, Dave F via talk wrote:
In my area, AL are adding legitimate data which helps improve the
quality of the OSM database. I believe they make the same amount of
errors as any other contributors, including experienced ones.

Unsure why he thinks OSMF should be keeping an eye on contributors
purely because they're paid.

IMO, it's not that they're *paid* per se but rather that there's a huge
army of them, all presumably with the same training and the same orders.
If those orders lead to bad mapping, it gets amplified greatly. This
also happens with organized groups of volunteer mappers.

Anecdotally, in my area, Amazon's drones are not a big problem but
occasionally they're pretty irksome. Sometimes they add hundreds of
service roads in a week, and generally very sloppily. They draw roads at
odd angles. They connect alleys that don't connect. They connect roads
to subways. They draw parking aisles like winding forest paths. They
distort the highways they connect to. They use outdated and misaligned
imagery. Once in a while they'll delete entire roads or buildings.

I try to keep an eye on them and fix the errors and the most egregious
road geometry. When I leave changeset comments, they generally reply,
but there are so many of them that it feels like trying to cook rice one
grain at a time.

Jason