Agreed that we could do better, see the proposal process for new tags
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process.

Currently we can already mark if the library is open to the public on not
(access=yes means open to the general public), but it's unclear how say a
school library or library restricted to attendees of an educational
facility like a university should be tagged (is it access=private since
only those people attending the institution have been given permission?

You can mark the operator of the library with
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator, which might be the local
municipality/government/council, or might be the school or university.

You can mark the operator type with
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator:type eg public, private,
government, religious, ngo, community, consortium, cooperative.

There are open questions similar to yours at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=library#Types_of_libraries