On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 12:10:41PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
> I just added some example at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access
> and improved existing one.
>
> Review, and improving edits (or comments here) would be welcomed.
>
> Deliberately posting to talk to get review also from people less involved in
> tagging discussions.
>
> Thanks to Malenki and Seventy7 for suggesting it (in 2009 and 2010
> respectively).

For me its missing at least 2 points:

- The "Ground truth" we tag restrictions only when visibly assigned and
  verifyable.
- To use access restrictions as simple and minimal as possible.

From my experience access restrictions are currently the most
problematic issue concerning routing. People mix in a lot
of stuff like ownership, legal, physical and "emotional" aspects
to tag access restrictions. This causes a lot of harm to reachability
of addresses.

For example the German forum fights (with me) for tagging all driveways
as access=private disregarding any signs of the will of the owner. So
even you dont post additional signs or putting a gate on your
driveway the proposal is to tag everything access=private. I dont
think thats a good idea as it makes the driveway and the area
of the nuclear power plant indistinguishable. So as a delivery
like Amazon Logistics, UPS, FedEx and Co you have to ignore
access=privates to be able to actually use your driveway,
which automatically makes them ignore the power plants service
as well. This will be prone to real errors and bad workarounds.

So - people try to overload the meaning of access=private
with something more like ownership=private.

So IMHO the advice to tag EVERY driveway with access=private is a very
bad one.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de