On 09/08/2020 09:42, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
Aug 9, 2020, 10:25 by pang...@riseup.net <mailto:pang...@riseup.net>:

    I suggest we create a roadmap for deprecating of storing and
    updating names in OSM for objects with a Wikidata tag.

Absolutely no.

tagging name tag is a fundamental  part of OSM tag,
offloading it to a third party service is a mistake that will not happen

https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/19655 contains several misleading, wrong, mistaken and problematic claims, statements and implications but I have no time to process in detail as the entire idea is fundamentally bad, mistaken, problematic, broken, not workable,
not acceptable, not going to happen and wrong.

Seconded ...
However sensible LINKING to third party services does make sense such as with geonames which already has services linking back to OSM ... geonames is a useful source of local time data for example.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL