Ben,

What type of navigation, car, public transport, bicycle, walking...?

What part of the world will you be navigating in?  Some parts of the world
have better OSM data than others.

Another consideration is how well the app makes use of all of the data in
OSM. e.g. turn restrictions, oneway, types of travel allowed...

I use the free, open source, OSMAND app. https://osmand.net/

Mike