Am 27.10.2022 um 06:17 schrieb Michael Collinson:
and note that Bing imagery is provided to us on the same basis - for use in OSM but not otherwise.

Mike

Bing imagery is available for inspection to everybody, for use in OSM terms are relaxed that would otherwise prohibit tracing etc.

Not comparable to not having access to the source at all, in this case we don't even know if the Lyft employee is referring to street level images (which might actually need processing before release), or aerial/sat imagery.

Simon

On 2022-10-27 00:08, Clifford Snow wrote:

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 2:59 PM Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Concerning this changeset:

    Changeset comment:

    added missing roads according to proprietary aerial imagery

    Editing organization's follow on comment:
    "Proprietary" for Lyft meaning "provided to us for use in OSM but
    not the general public"

    Is this acceptable?  In my mind it is not as the whole community
    should have access in order to verify and build on these edits.

I look at it as if they were using local knowledge. For example, If I walk downtown and take pictures of business doors to capture address, name, and hours for use in updating OSM but don't upload those pics - I consider that acceptable.

For Lyft to make their imagery public they would have to insure that nothing private, such as faces, license plates, etc. I'm sure they don't want the added cost required make them public.

Clifford

--
@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us <https://www.snowandsnow.us>