I propose to fix some obvious typos in tag values. Cases were found
automatically and manually reviewed with sampling across values (in
process some were entirely retagged).

Content here is a mirror of
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/proposed-bot-edit-fixing-bunch-of-typos-in-tags/110039
 as required by automated edits code of conduct
- if you have seen then it is likely not worth rereading it here

Typical example would be something like

state before a mechanical edit (example for a tunnel value):

    highway=footway
    tunnel=building_passage2
    layer=-1

state after an edit:

    highway=footway
    tunnel=building_passage
    layer=-1

Full list of values is at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/fix_many_obvious_typos#What

(in case of finding more cases like this - can I just add them to bot
edit? Or should I make a new thread here and on talk mailing list)

Why it is useful? It helps newbies to avoid becoming confused. It
protects against such values becoming established. Without drudgery
that would be required from the manual cleanup. It also makes easier to
add missing surface= values and makes easier to use OpenStreetMap data,
including support in editors which explain/translate meaning of surface
values.

Why automatic edit? I have a massive queue (in thousands and tens of
thousands) of automatically detectable issues which are not reported by
mainstream validators, require fixes and fix requires review or
complete manual cleanup.

There is no point in manual drudgery here, with values obviously
fixable.

This values here do NOT require manual overview. If this cases will
turn out to be an useful signal of invalid editing than I will remain
reviewing nearby areas where bot edited.

I already skipped edits to primary tags except few blatant cases where
mistake is easy to miss (flowerbed until recently was not rendered).
Typos in primary tags that cause them to be outright missing from
typical map rendering is often coupled with other serious problems.
Probably because it indicates mapping by newbies who are likely to be
confused also by other complexities. The same goes for access tags that
I will keep fixing manually. Though typos in for example shop values
are safe to fix automatically, probably because effects are less
noticeable. Also, more obvious typos in rare, typically not rendered
amenity tags are often safe to fix.

Yes, bot edit WILL cause objects to be edited. Nevertheless, as result
map data quality will improve.

This values were found automatically based on taginfo and iD presets,
also accessed via taginfo.

Taginfo values statistics list values in OSM database, while iD presets
list which values are known for given keys.

Multiple heuristics were applies to find various typos, for example
“cuisine=bubble tea” was found to match “cuisine=bubble_tea” from iD
presets after space was replaced by underscore.

“cuisine=Thai” to “cuisine=thai” after lowercasing value.

“cuising=regional1” to “cuisine=regional” after skipping ending.

All values were looked at then manually to drop any dubious replacement
(for example healthcare=nursery to heatlhcare=nurse was skipped).

Samples was also looked at in OSM, with many values just edited. Note
that not each replacement was sampled: as many, many have just few
cases, so sampling and verifying ends with just editing all of them
manually.

If you see any values where edit would be dubious, not safe or in any
way problematic: let me know.

(BTW, one typo in iD presets was found while looking for typos, see
https://github.com/openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema/pull/1063 )

Some conversion were found manually in addition to iD presets,
currently it is only cycleway:both and shop=gun.

I also contacted community already in some cases (like sport values
with ; and in some cases of extra trailing characters) - via changeset
comments and notes.

Response confirmed that this changes are a good idea - and that just
editing will be better than asking more people.

This edit will be rerun in future as many of such typos are expected to
reappear.