Hi,

das mit XEN hat mir trotzdem noch keine Ruhe gelassen. Warum es nicht oder
schlecht geht habe ich hier gefunden, ich hoffe, ich darf das einfach
reinkopieren mit Quellenangabe. Dort wird dann auch das Problem genauer
beschrieben. Soweit ich das verstanden habe liegt es an der
Speicheradressierung der Graphik Karte.

Gruß

Reiner

aus http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq

7.3. In DomU, how can I use 3D graphics.

In a para-virtualized domain, you could give access to the graphics card by
hiding the device from Dom0 and giving the DomU of choice access to this card.
[Sorry, I don't know more details than this - maybe someone else can fill in
more here. --Mats Petersson] The frequently asked question comes from people
who want to use Windows in a HVM domain to play games or run high-end 3D
graphics applications, and the answer here is "Not yet". The problem here is
that the OS isn't loaded directly at address zero when it is a guest-OS (DomU),
so we're lying to the OS about it's location (because most OS's don't quite
understand the concept of memory that doesn't actually start at address zero).
So, the OS thinks that it's been loaded at an address of, say, 0..256MB, but in
reality it's been loaded at 256MB..512MB. When it then talks to the graphics
cards, it will give the graphics card a physical address of somewhere between
0..256MB, which of course doesn't work for the graphics card - as it should
really be reading somewhere between 256MB..512MB. So what can we do about it?
There are a number of different solutions that could work: 1. Rewrite the
graphics driver so that it understands Xen. Possible, but hard work, even if
you have easy access to the source-code. Most graphics chip manufacturers do
not have open-source drivers. 2. Use some alternative way to access the
desktop, such as Remote Desktop. This doesn't necessarily work for real
high-end apps or games, but it's probably better than the graphics card
emulation in HVM. 3. Wait for hardware and software to support IOMMU. An IOMMU
is a device that will support mapping memory addresses for a domian to some
different address when that domain's hardware is being used. There is currently
(high-end) server hardware that support this, but no desktop machines. Expect
this to change in the future, but not very soon.