From: Taps [taps-boun...@ietf.org] on behalf of Michael Welzl
[mich...@ifi.uio.no]
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 7:25 AM
To: Brian Trammell
Cc: taps@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Taps] Another significant detail: status of RFCs

On 19. aug. 2014, at 12:07, Brian Trammell wrote:

> hi Michael,
>
> On 19 Aug 2014, at 11:35, Michael Welzl <mich...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> Hi again, all,
>>
>> Did you notice that the two still existing milestones that we still have
>> left also come with a status now?
>>
>> Before the London BOF, this bit was:
>>
>> ***
>> * M7: Submit summary of the services provided by IETF transport protocols
>> and congestion control mechanisms as well as requirements of common APIs to
>> IESG as Informational
>> * M10: Submit draft on how transport services are identified to IESG as
>> Proposed Standard
>> * M13: Submit set of services that a transport API should provide to IESG as
>> Proposed Standard
>> ***
>>
>> - before the Toronto BOF, I was told that there's no need for milestones to
>> mention the status of documents, and I should just remove that. So we had,
>> in the version of the charter that went to IETF open review, even after the
>> Toronto BOF:
>>
>> ***
>> * M9: Submit summary of the services provided by IETF transport protocols
>> and congestion control mechanisms to IESG.
>> * M15: Submit end system transport services to IESG.
>> * M18: Submit specification of how the transport services can be provided to
>> IESG.
>> ***
>>
>> .... and now, all of a sudden, we have:
>
> So let's look at these one by one:
>
>> ***
>> * M9: Submit to the IESG an Informational document defining a set of
>> services provided by IETF transport protocols and congestion control
>> mechanisms.
>
> I think this is pretty clearly Informational; it was also identified as such
> pre-London, so I don't think this is particularly controversial as
> Informational.

ACK.

> (Not really relevant to the charter, but on this point as we discussed in the
> hallway in Toronto, I think the right way to do this is to solicit
> contributions from people in the community who have deep knowledge of certain
> transport protocols to specify these in terms of their behaviors in
> individual I-Ds or I-D sections, then to have an editor pull these together
> into a coherent whole.)

Indeed, not a charter suggestion but a good plan I think.

>> * M15: Submit to the IESG an Informational document recommending a minimal
>> set of Transport Services that end systems should support.
>
> In my opinion, whether this is PS or Info comes down to two questions: (1) is
> there an interoperability reason to specify a set of services that
> must/should/may/must not be provided by end systems and (2) will there be
> normative references to it from future PS documents?

What you say makes sense to me. I actually don't remember who proposed to make
this PS and why, and I can live with both. I just wanted to bring the question
back to the group, as it is a change to how things were originally written. We
had PS written there for a long time, went to "no status mentioned" because it
was said that it needs no mention, and now it's Informational.

> I don't really have an opinion here, though I think I'd lean toward PS just
> for the sake of future utility. Note that if this milestone is PS it will
> have to restate the salient points of each selected behavior /
> service-in-terms-of-behaviors from the first milestone in normative language.
> I'm okay with that too.

Me too...   sounds like we should go back to PS on this one, then.

Cheers,
Michael