On 12/9/2016 12:56 AM, Michael Welzl wrote:
> These things can be achieved by only changing the implementation of
> transports to locally provide some more of its internal information to a
> system on top; they don't change anything on the wire...
FWIW, we really need to stop using that phrase ("on the wire").

A protocol is defined by:
    - it's interface to the layer above
    - its interface to the layer below
    - the messages (the "on the wire" part)
    - time
    - it's state machine and how it reacts to the above 4 items

A protocol *implementation* can vary but still interoperate with other
protocols only when NONE of the above change.

Joe