On 12/12/2016 10:58 AM, Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

>> IMO, the app should never need to play with DF. It needs to know what it
>> thinks the transport can deliver - which might include transport
>> frag/reassembly and network frag/reassembly.
> How does the App handle probes for path MTU then in UDP?
>
> Gorry
I think there needs to be two parts to the API:

- largest transmission size
- native transmission desired (true/false)

If the app says "YES" to native transmission size, then that would
suggest that UDP would do *nothing* and pass that same kind of flag down
to IP, where IP would not only set DF=1, but also not source fragment.

I.e., I don't think it's the app's job to know how to explicitly control
a mechanism two layers down, and DF isn't really what you want anyway.
DF isn't the same as "don't source fragment".

Joe