>>> AFAICT, that's 1) in my list, e.g., the largest chunk that SCTP can send
>>> without having SCTP coordinate frag/reassembly. That doesn't itself
>> You need to take the DATA or I-DATA chunk header into account...
>> It is "the number of bytes in the packet for chunks", not "the number
>> of bytes for the chunk value for DATA (or I-DATA) chunks".
> Yes, but (see below).
>

>>> indicate whether it's SCTP doing the rest or the network layer.
>> As I said, that is what is exposed to the upper layer via the API.
>> SCTP itself has procedures to detect the PMTU (of each path).
>> It does PMTU discovery by interacting with the IP layer...
>
> Yes, but it's possible that the chunksize the app sees from SCTP is
> related to SCTP's reassembly limit, not IP's and not the PMTU.
>
> At least that's how I read SCTP_MAXSEG.
Not sure what the reassembly limit is... SCTP handled arbitrary sized
user messages a the receiver side by using partial delivery.

The SCTP_MAXSEG allows a user to limit the size of DATA chunks without
reducing the pmtu. Please note that this only affects DATA chunks, not
the whole packet. So that is why I was not referring to this option.
The socket options I was referring to are:
* SCTP_GET_PEER_ADDR_INFO defined in
* SCTP_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS defined in

Best regards
Michael