Hi, Michael,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 9:11 AM Michael Welzl <mich...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> [...]
> include the
> > security related features of TCP and SCTP in the minimum set, and I
> think this
> > citation is necessary.
> >
> > So, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have ever noticed that Section 5 of
> [I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security] provided the equivalent of this
> document, based on the Abstract and Introduction, which both talk about
> surveys a lot more than minimum sets, but that's not your problem to solve
> (and I'm not providing AD comments on documents that the working group is
> still working on, because you guys are more likely to get stuff right than
> I am, so no action required from anyone else).
> >
> > But what is for you ...
> >
> > At a minimum, I'd suggest qualifying the reference to
> [I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security]  as "Section 5 of
> [I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security] ", because I don't suppose that any
> other reviewer is more likely to figure this out than I am, but ...
> >
> > Quoting from the Introduction in -02 of
> I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security, what that draft is covering is
> >
> >    This document provides a survey of commonly used or notable network
> >    security protocols, with a focus on how they interact and integrate
> >    with applications and transport protocols.  Its goal is to supplement
> >    efforts to define and catalog transport services [RFC8095] by
> >    describing the interfaces required to add security protocols.  It
> >    examines Transport Layer Security (TLS), Datagram Transport Layer
> >    Security (DTLS), Quick UDP Internet Connections with TLS (QUIC +
> >    TLS), MinimalT, CurveCP, tcpcrypt, Internet Key Exchange with
> >    Encapsulating Security Protocol (IKEv2 + ESP), SRTP (with DTLS), and
> >    WireGuard.
> >
> > I may be confused about this, but I'm not seeing an obvious pattern
> match between those protocols and "security related features of TCP and
> SCTP in the minimum set". Is that document talking about what you hope it's
> talking about?
> >
> > Assuming so ... I'm probably struggling with the idea that there is no
> minimal set of transport services that doesn't involve one of the protocols
> listed in I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security or a near equivalent. That may
> really be the right thing for the working group to say, but I wanted to
> make sure that's the point that's being made, because that's what I think
> you're saying, by including the reference to
> I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security in your security considerations.
> >
> > If the last sentence read
> >
> >   The minimum {delete "security"}
> >    requirements for a {insert "secure"} secure transport system are
> discussed in a
> >    separate document [I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security].
> >
> > I'd agree with that statement, without anyone having to explain anything
> to me!
>
> Can I just make this sentence replacement and be done with it?  I mean, it
> IS a very nice and clean solution, IMO...

So, here's what I'm thinking ...

I'm not sure if you saw my suggestion about qualifying the reference to
[I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security]  as "Section 5 of
[I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security]", but assuming that we're good on that
one ...

Tl;dr = Spencer wants to make sure that his suggested text isn't overriding
what the working group is thinking, but since the working group has been
copied on this e-mail thread, it's probably fine to submit an updated draft
and start Last Call.

For anyone curious ...

What I was reading into the original text was roughly

minimal transport service set = this document + Section 5 of
[I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security]

The text I offered, is roughly

minimal transport service set = this document
minimal secure transport service set = this document + Section 5 of
[I-D.ietf-taps-transport-security]

We explicitly chartered TAPS for transport services in 2014, and didn't add
responsibility for transport security until February of this year. It seems
to me that publishing a minimal transport service set has value now, and
publishing a minimal transport service set has additional value later.

If that's the intention, my suggested text would work.

If the intention was to say that the minimal transport service set requires
transport security, the original text was correct and Spencer just missed a
turn someplace, but a reasonable review question would be "if the minimal
transport service set requires transport security, why publish the insecure
part now?"

Either answer is OK with me, but what's not OK is for me as AD, is tell the
working group "I'm sure you meant THIS", in a way that doesn't invite
"Spencer, we meant exactly THIS, and your comment explains why we don't
have ADs write all the documents" :-)

And thanks for your quick responses. That's always helpful.

Spencer