On 2015-02-22 11:56, Colin Percival wrote:
> Hi Hugo & list,
>
> On 02/21/15 22:14, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> > I need to store some backups files for really long-term (eg: I've no
> > intention
> > of checking them out unless I have some serious hardware crashes).
> >
> > I realize that tarsnap uses AWS for file storage, and these sort of files
> > could
> > really be stored in Amazon Glacier (which has lower storage costs). I'm
> > wondering if you guys (eg: tarsnap devs) would ever be willing to implement
> > a feature to mark a certain file (or maybe all the files stored with a
> > certain
> > key) as frozen/long term storge.
> >
> > I'm not just thinking about reducing costs to the end users; some of the
> > savings can be kept by tarsnap itself in these scenarios, and, unless the
> > implementation is a pain, there might end up being some profit on both
> > sides.
> >
> > What do you guys think? Is this doable, or is there some technical
> > limitation?
>
> I discuss this in some detail in the blog post which Marcin linked to, but the
> short answer is: It's not possible to mark particular files for "cold storage"
> due to tarsnap's deduplication; it would theoretically be possible to mark
> all the files stored with a particular key as being frozen (glaciated?); but
> the implementation would be a pain given the way that the tarsnap server works
> right now.
>
> This is something I want to support eventually, but it's a long way off.

Hi,

Thanks for sending out an official response to this. I'd not crossed the above
mentioned blog post before my initial email to this list.

Yes, I understand that freezing a single file is extremely inconvenient and
would make duplication a pain/expensive.

What I had is mind is something like "Backup up 200G of photos that I have in
my home NAS. I'll only want these if my NAS blows up, which will hopefully be
never."

For the rest of my stuff and files I might want access to, tarsnap works fine
for me.

Cheers, and thanks for the great service! 👍

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera