On 02/23/15 05:28, John Gamble wrote:
>> Understood.  And for this, the best solution is probably to use something
>> other than Tarsnap.  Given that you're going to upload them once and never
>> touch them again (hopefully) there are lots of tools which will do the job
>> for you -- removing the need for deduplication makes everything much simpler.
>
> Can you suggest what other service might be useful in this situation?  I'm
> curious to know, as it might be something I'd want to look into at some point.

If I was going to put "cold" data into Glacier, I would probably encrypt it
using scrypt and then upload it directly.  I think the AWS Console even lets
you do this from a web browser.

The key issue here is that when you take deduplication out of the picture,
you can encrypt and upload separately; which means that as long as you do
the encryption using a good tool, the tool you use to upload your data doesn't
need to be written with any awareness of security or cryptography.

--
Colin Percival