A small diaphram condenser that a lot of folks like is the Audio
Technica Pro37R. Not as pricey as a lot of mics, but very good on
acoustic instruments. I've got some Oktava MC012 small diaphragm
condensers that I like too. If you can afford to get them worked over
by OktavaMod, they rival very expensive mics. I've also got an
OktavaMod 219 large diaphragm condenser that I like on acoustic
instruments and vocals.