From: mistertaterbug <taterbugmu...@gmail.com>
To: Taterbugmando <taterbugmando@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm
Subject: The Ideal Gig

owdy all. I *had* to post this to the group. It is a bit overboard,
ut not that out of line with a few of the gigs that one gets called
n. It just goes to show the attitude that some people have regarding
he job of "musician". Of course, the language is lighthearted enough,
ut the underlying message is a bit ignorant of the trade...
Come play our wedding for four hours for free, play music from every
enre known to man (by request, probably) and if Granny wants to play
he drums, then let her. You get a "great" meal and drink, provided
ou can consume it in some out-of-the-way place during the time when
elatives are telling embarrassing stories about the bride and groom.
ou may give your CDs away for free to people who will lay them down
n a coffee table or bathroom sink and leave them there. Tips?
eally?
There used to be a lot of conventions at the Opryland Hotel years ago,
robably still are, that were somewhat like this. Bluegrass as dinner
usic. More than once we were told to turn down so that they could
alk over catered suppers. Of course, there are a lot of great gigs
hat are nothing like the one described, but these really sting...Just
magine being asked to do whatever your occupation is under these
erms. Sort of changes things, eh?
Conventional Tater

This ad actually appeared in a newspaper. Before you get ready to play
his,
read on...> "BAND WANTED"
> Couple getting married in need of a band. Ideally, we'd like a 4-5 piece
 band that can play disco, funk, R&B, Motown, rock, top-40, as well as some
 Jewish Ethnic songs like "Hava Nagila". We'd need about four hours of music,
 from 6-10 PM with some breaks in between. We also need some light rock or
 jazz for the dinner music. Also: we need to use your microphone for toasts
 and speeches, etc. Pay: Unfortunately, we cannot afford to pay the band in
 money. But here's what we offer in return:

 (1) You and the band will be fed a great meal. (However, as we do need some
 quiet dinner music provided, you'll have to eat during the toasts.)

 (2) Each band member will get 1 free drink.

 (3) We will mention your band in the toasts, and you'll get a chance to pass
 out your business cards, and you can give away any band CDs you have. There
 will be some very high class people there, and you'll probably get some
 offers from this.

 (4) If you do well, we might hire you for a paid party later this fall

 (5) We will have a tip jar out for the band.

 (6) You'll get the great feeling of doing a good deed!

 One more thing: We do have a few family members that play drums and guitar,
 so we hope it'll be okay to let them sit in for a tune or two.
or more options, visit this group at