I think you have to decide what your personal goals are in playing
music. If your goal is to play like any particular great player, then
you have to put in gobs of work to do it. The vast majority of the
people we admire have put in those hours.

My goals are different. I don't want to play like Compton or Monroe or
Zenkl or Grisman. I doubt I could, even if I put in all those hours,
though I'd get closer than I am now, for sure.

Instead, for me, it is most important to do all the things I love to
do in addition to playing mandolin-family instruments. I love to make
instruments, cook, drink beer, play guitar, play bass, write funny
songs, go camping with friends, spend time with my family, and dream
about traveling to cool places. In addition, there's plenty of stuff I
have to do that I'd rather not.

So - I'm completely OK with never playing like my heroes. As long as I
can play a few cool tunes and learn a new one now and then - and jam a
lot - I am happy with my music. My goal is to have fun with music,
socially. Make a little money at it (not much!), and show some other
folks a few things I've figured out. And I'm pleased to have had some
success with these things.

For me, my goal is reasonable. It's good to have reasonable goals.
It's not too stressful, and leaves you a little time for a beer. Come
share one with me some time!

Happy Holidays, folks!

Topher