I'm getting some rewards already, i'm starting to get a feeling for
the dynamic of downstrokes, and i find that when im listening back on
album recordings, all of a sudden, its far more apparent what the
players are doing... its like learning a new word and suddenly it just
keeps reappearing in conversation and books...

but, yeah, you mention that 'digging in sound' thats a definite
benefit, also, i'm finding more control and tone with chording, double
stops and, strangely enough, tremolo...

its still early days but, yep, i guess less is sometimes more