Hello Ron,
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:42:15 -0500 GMT your local time,
which was Tuesday, January 04, 2000, 3:42:15 AM (GMT+0700) my local time,
Ron wrote:

Ron> I would prefer some other method to detect stolen keys.  Maybe TB
Ron> could use the S/N header technique and further encrypt the S/N by
Ron> using the from address, so that it would be more difficult to match
Ron> different "from" addresses from the same TB license?  I don't know if
Ron> this is practical, but I would prefer some different method from what
Ron> is now implemented.
Let me tell what I would do....
Couple it to the pgp key one can generate and in the Bats case CAN FORCE to be
generated.
If you want to use pgp, better provide the correct one, if not, the
bat will not handle pgp...
All it needs is the short hexcode signature,
The Norwegian Stahle Shumacher used it for a pgp addon and nobody can
use it if they havent got the key to go with it...
Secondly, enable the download version for 4 weeks as now.
BUT prepare a message to the bats authors to preregister the program.
with pgp enabled and return a key valid for 3 months....

Having 3 months as a bonus will be a stimulance to send that email and
anyway otherwise pgp doesnt work...

After 3 months they either pay or have to use a fake key (meaning
their pgp doesnt work) or try to register clean but then they need to
use a new pgp key which kind of defeats the idea of using pgp...
And using the same pgp key can be detected by the Bats registration
system.

Think it over and get rid of that annoying number in the header...
At least above system will catch anyone wanting to use the bat in a
more sophisticated manner: they have to pay.... but get extra time to
make up their mind.
Asuming you can prevent them to knock the 3 months limitation out!...
still, nothing prevents you to use pgp for that security, its there
anyway, so use it for the protection.

Ron>  Using The Bat! version 1.38e
Ron>  under Windows NT4, build 1381, Service Pack 4

Best regards,

tracer

Using theBAT 1.38e

mail to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]