Hi Jerney,

RS>>> I     did    some   testing   on concerning LZMA2 algorythm (and
RS>>> some  more  for comparision).   LZMA is available on GPL license
RS>>> and probably LZMA can be implemented with usage of 7ZIP DLL file
RS>>> as well.

Jernej>> Hint:  you  can't  directly  use  code licensed under the GPL
Jernej>> license  in  a project that is not licensed under GPL. Though
Jernej>> IIRC, the LZMA library uses a far more permissive license.

LZMA SDK is placed in the public domain as Simon wrote.
http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

Simon> There  is the GPL and also the LGPL. LGPL allows closed source
Simon> projects  to use the code with a few caveats, like for example
Simon> displaying the credits somewhere in the application, and a few
Simon> other  minor  niggles that I can't remember well enough at the
Simon> moment.

As  for 7ZIP if it's to be used as a compressing software (through exe
(command line) or DLL).

1) Can I use the source code of 7-Zip in a commercial application?

Since  7-Zip  is licensed under the GNU LGPL you must follow the rules
of  that license. In brief, it means that any LGPL'ed code must remain
licensed  under  the  LGPL.

For  instance,  you can change the code from 7-Zip  or write a wrapper
for  some  code from 7-Zip and compile it into a  DLL; but, the source
code  of  that  DLL  (including  your  modifications  /   additions  /
wrapper)  must be licensed under the LGPL or GPL.

Any  other  code  in  your  application  can  be licensed as you wish.
This scheme  allows  users  and  developers  to  change  LGPL'ed  code
 and  recompile that DLL. That is the idea of free software. Read more
here:  http://www.gnu.org/.   You   can  also read about the LZMA SDK,
which is available under a more liberal license.

2)  Can  I  use  the  EXE  or  DLL  files  from  7-Zip in a Commercial
Application?

Yes,  but  you  are required to specify in your documentation (1) that
you  used parts of the 7-Zip program, (2) that 7-Zip is licensed under
the  GNU  LGPL  license and (3) you must give a link to www.7-zip.org,
where the source code can be found.

Source: http://www.7-zip.org/faq.html (1&2 are quotes from WWW)

Simon> "The  LZMA implementation extracted from 7-Zip is available as
Simon> LZMA SDK. It was placed by Igor Pavlov in the public domain on
Simon> December 2, 2008, with the release of version 4.62"

True :)

RS