Hello Lars,

On 13 Jan 2002 at 1:47:01 pm you wrote (at least in part):

LG> Just a minor correction: GMX doesn't have something like a 'main
LG> server'.

LG> I just made some DNS lookups, all GMX pop.gmx.* servers have the same IP
LG> address. It seems that GMX has just registered several DNS entries for
LG> that server.

That's quite right. There's only one thing why changing the name may
be important:

from Beta/26 on The Bat! checks the server name is is connecting to
against the server name given in public key of certificate (CN-entry).

So if you connect to 'pop.gmx.co.uk' which is using a certificate
issued to 'pop.gmx.net' The Bat! will fail / drop the connection.

Where your browser just tells you 'The name on the security
certificate does not match the name of the site.' (e.g.
https://bt.ritlabs.com -> issued to 'www.ritlabs.com' used by
'bt.ritlabs.com', surely the same server or at least the same company,
but the browser can't know about this :-) ) The Bat! complains about
this certificate maybe 'invalid' and denies to continue the
connection. I hope RIT is implementing an error popup stating this
issue and offering the opportunity to 'validate' this certificate as
every browser does.

I had the same problem at home: during installation of 'stunnel' on my
server it generated a certificate. The 'CN' entry it gave this
generation process was 'stunnel' instead of my real host name.
I did an import of the certificate into The Bat!, tried to connect
with Beta/26 and got an error.
I had to manually recreate the certificate to be able to check my mail
locally via POP3-SSL (No, I don't need to use SSL/TLS locally, this is
_only_ for testing purposes *g*). In one account I was also using
'pop3.sunrise.local' which is an DNS alias to 'siliki.sunrise.local'
and The Bat! complained about the invalidity of certificate too, so I
had to change my account settings for being able to POP this account.
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

'There must be some kind of way out of here...'