Hello Costas,

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 07:48:04 +0300 GMT (22/06/02, 11:48 +0700 GMT),
Costas Papadopoulos wrote:

CP> I  hope  the  moderator  doesn't  mind my replying to you on the list,
CP> given  the current low traffic.

I agree it is more than just OT, and will follow the tiniest hint of
the moderators to move this to TBOT. My other reason to use this list
is that I am testing batpost.com.

CP> If  you  follow  the currency markets you will see that sometimes even
CP> the  fundamentals  are  not  so  important  as the people's sentiment.

Yes and no. People's sentiments are part of the deal. If everyone
believes the dollar will go up, it will; and v.v.

But who the people that make currencies move up or down? It is not you
and me, we are jsut bystanders. Governments actively influence the
exchange rates by buying or selling according to mututal agreements -
this is how the European Monetary System worked until introduction of
the euro in 1999.

Then, there are institutional investors. The currency dealers, George
Soros being the biggest. These people move amounts of funds per day
that exceed some countries' GDP's.

For us, it is to read the signs upon which these two groups will act.
the easy indicators are, for example, interest rates. If the interest
rates in the US are very high (Reagan-aera), they will want to buy USD
so as to earn a nice profit from interest. Then there are economic
indicators.

CP> Lately,  even  though  on  the  one hand there have been good economic
CP> indicator  announcements  in the USA, they have done almost nothing to
CP> control  the fall in the Dollar since the equities market on the other
CP> hand  has  been  disappointing  (Enron etc.).

Yes, investor confidence is shattered, and the institutional investors
(this time I am talking about mutual funds and the like) are shifting
their capital to Europe. But there is another side to it. The US is
not out of the slump, and the high dollar is hurting their export
industry. They *want* the dollar lower.

CP> Even the Bank of Japan's recent attempts to lower the value of the
CP> Yen versus the Dollar has not done much to change sentiment. So on
CP> the basis of the above you may be right in your forecast - well I
CP> hope so for your sake ;-)

Let's watch the currency game. It is a very slow game, unless you
invest so much money that a few tenths of a percentage point mean
something to you. Don't forget the cost of buying and selling; my bank
moves the funds between the different currency accounts without fees,
but watch the spread in exchange rate whether you buy or sell!

Maybe I should become a money changer, it must be a nice living from
the spread. <g>

CP> On  a  more  detailed  level,  it  doesn't  hurt  to  remember that by
CP> definition  at  any  moment  in  time the exchange rate represents the
CP> views  of 50% of the people who believe it will go up and of the other
CP> 50% who believe it will go down!

LOL!

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Wann wird denn endlich der Niagara-Fall geloest oder die Formel 1
ausgerechnet ??

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.60q
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM