Sunday, July 11, 2004, 5:53:21 PM, Kevin wrote:

KA> I know we are talking about the same thing here and semantics are
KA> getting in the way. Speaking to IMAP only, convention defines the act
KA> of "deletion" as flagging a message for deletion on the server. The
KA> message still physically exists on the server but it has a flag
KA> attribute. "Purging" is the act of physically deleting the "flagged"
KA> message from the server (one can define server-side rules for this
KA> action.

Actually according to IMAP RFC 3501:
   The EXPUNGE command permanently removes all messages that have the
   \Deleted flag set from the currently selected mailbox.

But how many people use EXPUNGE in their daily conversations or even
know what it means? :-) I agree "Purge" is probably a better menu item
or button name for this action.

--
Regards,
 Plan9

 Current beta is v2.12 RC/1 | 'Using TBBETA' information: