Some time around 10/18/2004 18:27:17, I think I heard Martin Webster say:
MS>> Well - the security problem with Google Desktop is an other topic, I
MS>> know, but don't forget it...

> I can't see any real security problems with Google Desktop and it
> seems I'm not alone:
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1678974,00.asp.

> Copied to TBOT.

Hello:

From the article:

"Yeah, it's possible for Google to do this, in direct violation of its own privacy
policy, but it's not necessary for them to do so. Google officials have been cited
elsewhere as saying that this arrangement of mixed results will get people to do more
online Google searches, enhancing the company's ad-based online business, and this is
plausible. Why would they want, instead, to lie to users in their privacy policy?"

So the entire proof of his case that Google Desktop is definitely *not* security risk
lies on trust; "it's possible... but not necessary"; and a specious and naive
asseveration of "why would they lie?".  Seems hardly "proof" to me.

        -dZ.