On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:52:24 +0200, Martin Schoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> English is not my native language - but the "tone" of your messages
> sounds strange over here.
>
> It sounds like: "I proofed that there is no security problem - and
> now shut up".

No worries.  Perhaps it's better to not try and take things
personally.  Please note also that I never said "shut up".  I tried
very much to remain cordial.  If you need some other context on my
presentation, search the archives for other posts from me.

Furthermore, I never tried to prove anything (any moreso than you
did), I stated clearly that it's an undecided matter with advocates on
both sides.

> I really hope that you treat other security concerns not in the same
> manner...

I'm treating this the same way I treat all speculation and anecdotal
evidence.  Give me something empirical, and I'll be satisfied.  Until
then, I see nothing to get all upset about.  Should I be aware that
the possibility exists?  Yes.  Should I also be aware that security
consultants have something to gain by hyping up a matter?  Yes.
Should I be worried by all this?  That's my own prerogative and it's
an opinion I should generate on my own.

And for what it's worth, this really isn't much an issue of security
as it is an issue of privacy.  Arguably, the two are intertwined, but
I already gave Google permission to index my drive -- what's at stake
is what they do with the data I gave them permission to search
through.

I'm sorry for having replied after I said I would not, but I felt it
necessary to defend my character, so to speak.  I'm not much a fan of
being accused of having said things that I did not say (e.g., "shut
up") or doing things I did not do (e.g., try to prove GDS is secure).
I suppose I should just rely on other list members knowing me well
enough from other conversations to gauge my intent.

Moderators, thank you for your patience on this matter.

--
Kevin

 Current beta is 3.0.2.1 Beta/1 | 'Using TBBETA' information: