Allie Martin [AM], wrote:

>> Following Allie's lead I have played around with the various settings
>> and come up with optimum settings for my server. Perhaps we should
>> start sharing this information, get confirmations etc. so Ritlabs can
>> have an IMAP wizard based on server/connection type? Part of the
>> problem with TB! IMAP support is the many combinations of options.

AM> Yes. This is an idea.

I'm going to start a new thread for this purpose...

AM> Apart from the settings, I find that I have to be mindful. Clicking from
AM> folder to folder in frustration, wondering why nothing will happening,
AM> racks up the queue of tasks and makes matters worse. Killing TB! in the
AM> middle of a sync operation may also lead to TB! discarding the partially
AM> built cache and starting over again. However, I can't really blame users
AM> when there's no reasonable progress indicator as to what's happening.
AM> There's not much visual difference between a hung queue and one that's
AM> slowly underway.

Testing the current build has been helpful and has made me review my
IMAP settings. I am now confident the pauses etc. some of us see are
simply the time it takes TB! to reconnect to the server. Of course,
this is based on my observations with my setup and server
arrangements...

My IMAP server is on a home network and TB! was configured to
disconnect from the server when idle for 5 seconds. I only retrieve
message headers.

With this setup TB! would frequently pause for 2-3 seconds while I was
reading mail/switching to next message. Clicking from folder to folder
in frustration (as you do...) :-) doesn't seem to help matters.
However, if I deliberately disconnect from the server (Shift+Ctrl+F2)
and then attempt to read a message the same behaviour and delay is
observed. This is also confirmed in the status bar: IMAP - Session
finished. I now keep the connection alive at all times and don't have
the problem at all and would be interested to know if others keep a
permanent connection or automatically disconnect after a period of no
activity.

I now believe my setup is very close to that used by Mozilla
Thunderbird, which stays connected and only downloads message headers
by default. What TB! could really do with is an indicator to show
whether it is connected or disconnected... just like Thunderbird
(bottom left corner of main window.) Or an IMAP toolbar... hint hint!
;-)

--
.\\artin | ICQ 15893823

"The business of everybody is the business of nobody." LORD MCCAULAY
IMAP Client: The Bat! Version 3.0.2.4 Rush | Horde IMP WebMail
IMAPS Server: Dovecot | OS: Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2)

 Current beta is 3.0.2.4 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: