On Tuesday, November 9, 2004 at 17:24 (which was Tuesday, November 9,
2004 at 16:24 where I am) Avi Yashar wrote:

> I do *not* think that Ritlabs should follow the ISO standard on this
> point. I personally think that the ISO standard here is entirely
> philistine and likely to offend the sensibilities of many - both
> religious and non-religious.

Regardless of which day you list first, there might be at least one
person who will be offended. On my Palm organizer, I use an alternat
calendar application called DateBk5 (found on
<http://www.pimlicosoftware.com> in case someone is interested) that,
unlike the default built-in calendar, has the ability to specify any
weekday as the first day of the week.

Interface and programmingwise I think we would be adding unnecessary
complexity to the preferences sheet in question if Ritlabs would have
to shift the weekdays depending on the cultural or religious
background of the user, but others may differ.

I think that at least two wishes are in order: 1) to have an option
specifying the first day of the week and 2) that only abbreviations be
used to reference the days of the week and not numbers. I have the
feeling that much more than the order of presentation, the fact that
they are so explicitly numbered now is part of the reason why this
thread is getting so many messages.

On another note, I find it funny that while several people are using
religious arguments why Ritlabs should not enforce the use of ISO
calendar standards upon us, I have so far not seen any requests to
have TB! support other calendar systems such as the Jewish or Muslim
calendars that obviously differ from the generally used Gregorian one.

In case Ritlabs is interested, there is a great book called
'Calendrical calculations' that shows conversion methods between some
30 calendars including the aforementioned Jewish, Muslim and Gregorian
calendars and includes also Bahai, Maya, Koptic, Julian etc. The
related website is <http://www.calendarists.com/>.

As a matter of history, months and weeks (ordering days in groups of
around 29 and exactly 7 days) pre-date muslim, christian and jewish
beliefs alike. In most germanic languages and even in English
(anglo-saxon), the names of the days are derived from nature and
scandinavian gods. Other languages may have the same, but I'm not
familiar enough with them to comment. One thing though: although in
recent history Russia has been under communist atheist rule for quite
some time, I don't believe the communists ever touched their word for
Sunday: Voskresenie (my Russian-English transcription may be off, I'm
Dutch) which literally means: resurrection day, refering to the day
that Christ resurrected from the grave.

--
Greetings,
Maurice

Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
The Bat! v3.0.2.6; ; Bayes Filter Plugin v1.5.6; AJS v0.6; MyMacros
1.11a;

 Current beta is 3.0.2.6 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: